Sunday 7 August 2011

Introduction

Good Evening Brothers & Sisters :)

So here I sit surrounded by cream cakes (Naughty I know!) a banana, cartons of apple juice, water, tea, popcorn etc etc. The reason I am sat here filling my face is because as of tomorrow morning I will be fasting for 2 weeks. This fasting has three stand out purposes which I will share with you now by the form of a twitter hash tag and a brief description.

1) #Nonmuslimfasting - I am carrying out my fast during the period of Ramadan; the Islamic month of fasting in which participating Muslims refrain from eating, drinking and sexual intimacy* with their partners for a whole month. Therefore my fasting is a show of solidarity to them and their beliefs.

*Don’t worry about the refraining from sexual intimacy; this unfortunately is something I have become well practiced in recently! 
2) #fastingforAfrica - My main reason for carrying out this fasting is for Africa. If you were not aware, Africa is starving. Especially places like Somalia which is currently enduring a cruel famine. This is why I am fasting, so I can help to raise not only sponsorship money for charity that is much needed in this region but also maybe some added awareness of the terrible events that happen so far away.

3) I am also fasting as part of my own spiritual journey through life. I feel it’s vital that I put myself through something like this to be grateful for everything I have and be aware of the suffering that my fellow human beings go through on a day to day basis.

So, thank you for reading. I will be updating this blog with a diary, poems, thoughts, etc
So please come back, and if you would like to donate, ask a question or anything else then I will be adding a email address tomorrow to contact and a just giving page to donate :)

Peace & Love

Ryan


4 Comments:

Blogger Ameera said...

I think this is an awesome thing you are doing. Fasting is such a spiritual experience as a Muslim woman I can totally say I respect what you are doing fasting is an experience that makes you look at the hungry, poor, and the act of being ungrateful in whole new light.

8 August 2011 at 10:49  
Blogger Sheila Hajari said...

The spirit of fasting goes beyond abstinence of food, drink and marital relations, it is also a soul and heart experience in abstinence of selfishness to increase solidarity and brotherhood between all humanity and creation as well. thank you for sharing this great reminder. Inspiring

8 August 2011 at 11:08  
Blogger Sara said...

In high school I had a Christian friend who used to fast with me in Ramadan. I also had Christian Orthodox friends who fasted for fourty days abstaining from meat and dairy during their fast. It wasn't from dusk till dawn as is with Ramadan, but I was interested in that we weren't the only ones.

A Muslim parent asked me if I could give her daughter $1 for everyday that she fasts in Ramadan. The money will go to Somalia, Africa. Of course I accepted and I thought it was a great idea to implement the true meanings of fasting, which of one is cleansing oneself of greed as greed is considered a burden. That way, everyone will have food to eat :)
Sara, an Aussie Turkish sis :)

8 August 2011 at 11:17  
Blogger Sara said...

About the donations, will it be for the poems for Africa you're compiling for the CD?

8 August 2011 at 12:13  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home